[Geysers] a historical question

mmjustus at mmjustus.com mmjustus at mmjustus.com
Mon Jun 2 19:58:19 PDT 2014

Thank you, Scott!

Meg

No doubt the dates cited by Lee, MA, Rocco, and etc. are correct in regards to park-wide projects, but it is clear that wooden walkways existed well before the 1940s. These may have been short and restricted to the surrounds of individual features, but for a few examples look at Haynes photos 22637 (Dragon's Mouth), 11125 and 23463 (Mud Volcano), 16049 (Morning Glory -- I think that's a walkway on the far side of the pool), and perhaps even better a photo from the USGS digital photo file labeled "Black Growler 1924" that clearly shows a wooden walkway and bridge complete with wooden railing. Lastly, while I can't seem to locate it at the moment, someplace there's a picture of Porcelain Basin that shows a wooden plank-like walkway that extends well out into the basin; I somehow recall the date of 1922 for that one.