[Geysers] Geyser Report Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 16:41:12 PDT 2014

Geyser Report Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Very foggy morning!  I crawled into the park about 0500, grateful for
2 cars ahead of me whose tail lights I could follow at a safe
distance, trusting they would shoo large critters off the road before
I got to them.

Great Fountain had erupted yesterday at 0828 and 1738GT.  I made a
pass just in case and found a full pool that almost immediately began
overflow at 0545.  It erupted at 0704 P=6.  I listened to the first
series.  One big burst and all hope of  visibility was lost.  I headed
to Old Faithful to report and glean the latest info.

Both Beehive (before 0500?) and Grand (0344GT) were out of the picture
for a while, so I opted for Fountain (early enough to be confident of
getting a parking place).  The fog burned off and the wait was very
pleasant.

Super Frying Pan: ie at 0938 (ended before 0953) and NS @ 1144 (ended
very soon thereafter--before 1153)

Jet: Those I recorded--lost sight during gathering of large tour group
and other distractions
1000ie, 1007, 1026, 1036, 1044, 1054, 1104, 1120, 1129, 1137, 1153ie,
1158, 1206, 1215, 1224...

Kaleidoscope: 1217, 1224, 1227  then frequent smaller eruptions in
about the same spot that may have been a different feature?

Morning's Thief had 3 nice tall bursts (equal to Fountain height) at
1246, 1248, 1254

Fountain: 1245   I did not get duration, but others were there who did.

Had 1 group of 5 individuals appear suddenly behind Morning's Crater.
They apparently had walked in through the trees and behind the edge of
the platform. As they walked up to the back of the crater, heads
started popping up, one after the other.  A young boy standing next to
me was as surprised as we were--"Are they supposed to be out there?"
It was clearly whistle time!  I made a radio call, without much hope
of catching a NPS uniform in range and listening.  The uproar sent the
explorers back to the loop road.

Barbara Lasseter