[Geysers] from a tour ad--"Third" Old Faithful

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 25 04:55:51 PST 2014

I once addressed the question "Where is the third Old Faithful" in an article "Old Faithful’s Names and Namesakes" that appeared in The Sput.  I did not have an answer to the question, but offered up three possibilities.  I concluded the article by asking whether anyone else had any other suggestions for the third "old faithful" geyser.  Nobody responded.

Here is the part of that articlethat offered my suggestions:

Various sources claim that “The [Calistoga] Geyser is one of
only three Old Faithfuls in the
world, designated as such because of its constant and predictable eruptions.”  Old Faithful in Yellowstone, Calistoga’s Old
Faithful—and the third Old Faithful geyser is
?

Using the criteria “constant” and “predictable” with respect
to eruptions, one possibility for the third “Old Faithful” is the hot water
geyser located at Hunter’s Resort about 1-1/2 miles north of Lakeview, Oregon.  This geyser was also created by a drilled well,
which tapped into geothermal hot water.
The geyser erupts about every 60 to 90 seconds to a height of about 60
feet.  (I knew I was in desperate need of
a Yellowstone geyser fix one March when I
visited the site and found myself timing the eruptions and calculating
intervals and durations!)  But every
source I’ve reviewed indicates the name of this geyser is “Old Perpetual,” so I
don’t think it qualifies as the third “Old Faithful.”

Another “geyser” that is “constant” and “predictable” is the
“geyser” at Soda Springs, Idaho.
“Soda Springs boasts the largest captive geyser in the world and was
featured in ‘Ripley’s Believe It or Not.’
The geyser, in downtown Soda Springs, erupts every hour on the hour.”  [Soda
  Springs, Idaho.]  This feature was also created through
drilling.  In this case though, the
drilling was an attempt to find a hot water source for a swimming pool.  At less than 90ºF the water is not hot.  Carbon dioxide gas mixing with the water
creates the pressure to cause eruptions.
Regularity of the geyser is guaranteed because it is controlled by a
timer.  However, the timer is not always
used to turn the geyser on.  If the wind
direction is toward the west such that the water from the eruption would blow
toward the town center, the geyser is not allowed to erupt.  But this probably isn’t the third “Old Faithful” because I couldn’t find any sources that
called the feature anything other than the Soda Springs Geyser.

The final feature I’ll offer up as a possibility for the
third “Old Faithful” is also an artificial
feature—but this one wasn’t the result of drilling.  Instead it was a deliberate attempt to create
an artificial geyser.  “Old Faithful
Junior” was a model geyser located at the Old Faithful Museum.  H. T. Lystrup provided the following
information and story about “Old Faithful Junior.”

Lynn Stephens