[Geysers] Dwarfs

nathandutz at yahoo.com nathandutz at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 09:40:17 PST 2014

Possibly crazy idea here…

Would it be worth crafting the following two lists, and then making them readily accessible/editable for the gazer community online?

The first list would show, alphabetically, every name that has ever been applied to a Yellowstone thermal feature. That way when a gazer is contemplating attaching a name to a new (or newly-deemed-[semi]-permanent) feature, the list could be consulted to ensure that the name has never been used before.

The bulk of the list could be compiled readily (but admittedly with considerable work required), from Wonderland Nomenclature.

It would then need to be updated with whatever names have been applied since publication of WN, and could then be kept up-to-date by the community as new names are added.

It might be necessary to annotate the list with an “Official”/“Semi-Formal”/“Informal” hierarchy, or the like.

The second list could simply be a pull sheet of words or phrases that would make good geyser names but have not yet been used. That way when a feature deserves a good name but the first seventeen suggestions turn out to be on the first list already, the creative types who’ve had time for consideration will already have contributed a collection of possibilities to choose from.

Just a random thought.

--Nathan Dutzmann

Sent from Windows Mail