[Geysers] Dwarfs and names

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Dec 20 07:33:18 PST 2014

There are conventions that need to be satisfied in all this. Arguments
against naming are NOT arguments against identifying in some recoverable but
less formal fashion. Like it or not, there are rather strict constraints on
the  naming of things, at least in what can be called "official." [And yes, I
have  violated such constraints at times.]

This does not mean things can't be identified. Of course "we" want to be
able to keep track of such things as the various "Dwarfs," but that can be
done  with some sort of informal designation based, perhaps on a relative
position  within the group ("Dwarf #2 SW") or geographic position
(latitude-longitude,  though I really questions such designations as that which appeared
on Facebook a  day or two ago where both lat and long were cited to 15
(fifteen!) decimal  places).

For the record, the vent that is essentially always visible spouting toward
 the base of Arrowhead Spring is indeed "North Dwarf." "Red Dwarf" is/was
more-or-less in the center of the cluster.

Scott Bryan

In a message dated 12/19/2014 4:58:41 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,