[Geysers] Geyser Hill / Upper Basin report, 20-22 Sep 13

Andiy Wagner diggerfieldmouse at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 20:04:00 PDT 2013

I was there on the 22nd watching the North Goggle. It had some hot surges,
lowering and rising of the water, but no eruptions. We were waiting to see
if Lion would go while waiting for Grand. Grand gave a great display and
was the first time my roommate had seen a double burst.
Your description of the "pop" is interesting to me. My aunt used to say she
loved walking the hill and basin with people who were blind or at least
legally so because they could hear the steam bubbles collapsing as
"popping" noises. They would often ask what she was looking for when a
geyser like Grand was about to go. She realized after a conversation that
they could hear much better and were far better estimators even if they had
never been their in their lives before. After the second person she took
around she began to ask them what they could hear, which surprised many of
them since she was the park ranger, but as she pointed out, they do not
know everything and certainly not where a geyser will trigger. Makes me
wonder on still nights of we can hear it too?
Great info thanks so much. I love reading these.
I got to see the sow and triplets twice in Lamar valley. That made my
weekend since that was four of the five grizz in a day.
:)
Andiy
PS found the other post on Pink Cone and Great Fountain very interesting as
well. Thank you again