[Geysers] Fan and Mortar 9/9/2013

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Mon Sep 23 16:40:04 PDT 2013

Sorry for the late report but I figure people would like to see the details
from the eruption since so few eruptions have been seen from the start this
year.  I put most of the data on GeyserTimes already.

On the 9th, the day was already off to a great start with a Superburst at
Great Fountain at 1033 followed by a Fountain eruption at 1149 (my second
that day).  Returning to the UGB I decided to head down to check on F&M,
planning to have a rest there and get a nap and was unsuccessful but in a
good way.

When I arrived, Main Vent was splashing and there was no evidence of any
water in Bottom Vent's runoff channel so I think this was the first
activity.  Of note to me during the cycle was Upper Mortar splashing during
the pauses  (I had not seen that in other event cycles but Will has), Main
Vent splashing was continuous and went for 9 min into the final River on
cycle - it made me wonder if the cycle was broken because we didn't get
another pause.  When Gold finally came on the water levels were good all the
time.   Here are the details.

1335 Main Vent splashing in progress and continued into the final cycle (d>=
50min)

1341 River Vent on (d=11)

1352 River Vent off - River pause (d=7)

Upper Mortar splashed up in the quiet period (time not noted)

1359 River Vent on (d=12)

1402 Bottom Vent runoff reached the river but it never went into full
eruption

1411 River Vent off for the second River pause (d=5)

1416 River Vent on for the final time

1425 last Main Vent splash observed - 9min after River turned on!

1428 Gold Vent on with Gold 2 and 3 - the water levels always looked good,
no drop to scare us

1432 Angle Vent on

1438 Lock (probably could have called it earlier but having seen High steady
to 4' earlier in the trip only to drop I delayed the call)

1440 Fan and Mortar d=33m

Lower Mortar started with East and then Main Vent.  Eruption almost went
over the roadway but not quite.  Wind blew the water so the bridge was
completely wet and it was misted wet all the way to the Riverside turn.
Main Vent seemed to be more vertical than usual.

1457 first pause

1459-1503 2nd burst

1505-1506 3rd

1507-1508 4th

1510-1513 5th and final burst with water

1514 steam burst only

Go F&M!

Graham Meech