[Geysers] Geyser + Report Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Wed May 22 17:59:07 PDT 2013

Not much to report in the way of geysers, but it's great to be back!
Everything is so green!!  The rain Fri-S-S-Mon should help, too.  Many
of the willows are rusty brown sticks yet, but clearly SPRING IS HERE.

As I pass the lower geyser basin on my way in, I use the radio to ask
if there is any information to be relayed to Old Faithful.  Lynn
Stephens responded this AM with "Morning started at 0708, get up
here!!"  I think I made it to a viewpoint on the hill in 3
minutes--not bad for an old lady.   [d=25min and about 25sec]

Beehive: 0837  [spitting, then the indicator was called at 0822]  with
bold vibrant rainbow

Little Cub ie @ 0828 and 1006
Depression: 0803ie
Grand: 2 bursts @ 0534
Oblong: 0856ie
Daisy 0645
Grotto: 0522ie
Uncertain: 0556

Spouter was ie as I drove in, but Black Sand Basin is closed.
Spasm started 0718 and continued thru Morning.  Jet stopped during
Morning's eruption and began again afterward.

Midway between 6 mile bridge and Madison Junction a large number of
visitors were lining up way too close to a group of bison in the
roadside meadow.  It looked as though we were starting buffalo rides
in the park this year, and they wanted to take part.  Many of the cows
have bulging bellies still--only 3-4 calves in evidence in that herd
of 2 dozen or more.

Snowshoe hares have been seen on the West entrance road in the
vicinity of the bridge--some white, some gray-brown except for the
fuzzy white feet.  There was an osprey over the Firehole near the "S"
curves, and an eagle on the "sticky-out tree" across from the nest.
I've seen 6 or more Sandhill cranes so far.

Going to/from the Bozeman airport earlier this week, I saw an otter, 1
moose cow, and 2 bull elk with antlers starting--still only a foot or
so, but very stocky and looking promising.

The national parks have new souvenirs.  They are quarter-sized metal
tokens that describe the site on one side and depict a memorable
feature on the other.  They can be collected in plastic booklet
things--competition for the National Passport stamps, however the
token costs about a dollar.  I saw 3 different YNP tokens in the book
store.  The free Old Faithful bookmark souvenirs in the exhibit hall
at OF don't seem to be there this year.

I have a TENTATIVE list of the "presenters" coming to the OF Inn and
Lodge this summer (thru Sept).  It is 6 pages long, but if you are
interested, email me directly as to the dates you will be here, or the
presenters you are seeking, or catch me in the basin.  May 24-31 is Ed
Firmage (no precise location or times noted, or whether the presenter
is an artist, author, or whatever.)   Janet Chapple 6/29 and 30
11AM-6PM with possible readings the night of the 29th and the AM of
the 30 prior to the signing.  Also includes in June: Carl Sheehan,
Betsy Watry, Ed Firmage, Carl Schreier, Eric Thorsen, Lisa Culpepper,
Durrae Johanek, Kathryn Phyllary.    If I get an email list, I will
forward, but right now it's just 1 hard copy.  C J Box possible 8/27
evening, 8/28 AM reading & 5-7 PM signing.

Barbara Lasseter