[Geysers] Paul Strasser

Kevin S Leany kleany at cox.net
Mon May 20 19:28:28 PDT 2013

I had just run across this picture earlier this week.  We were waiting for Grand when this group of people came up with some interesting looking carts and stopped.  Paul decided he had to see what this contraption was and it turned out to be the Imax crew filiming a movie.  They were quite firendly and showed us how everything worked.  Of course Paul wanted to help so he was there to tell them when to start the cameras,  The pool filled, waves started, he told them to roll film.  The pool stayed high. we got more waves.  The pool stayed high.  The waves subsidied.  The pool drained.  Turns out they had to change the roll of film at a cost of $2500 and wait for the next chance.  Paul felt really bad because he told them to go and it didn't erupt.  They kept assuring that him that they were greatful for his help and that this was to be expected and they really appreciated that someone was showing them how it worked.  They were able to get it on the next good Turban so he was able to stop them from shooting a low pool twice.

The picture in itself is interesting.  It still has the old benches on the backside of the boardwalk.  I can see Heinrich with his computer, Paul & Suzanne.  Someone is holding Linda.  There is sombody there with a camcorder not much smaller than it Imax camera.

One of my favorite Paul stories is one he wrote when the listserv was fairly new about when he and Linda hit the bison in his Taurus wagon.  That story is pricless.  I wish I would have kept a copy of it.

My best wishes to you and your family Suzanne.  Paul was really a treasure and we will all miss him.  I can see him now sitting with Herb, Rich, Bob, both Johns and many others talking about the great times they had with each other gazing.  They geysers make it fun.  The people make it pricless.

Kevin Leany
kleany at cox.net