[Geysers] Morning data--glitch in geysertimes.org (Young)

Jacob Young jakefrisbee at yahoo.com
Sat May 11 13:17:15 PDT 2013

Hi All,
I have fixed this error in GeyserTimes as reported by Lynn Stephens.

It was actually a Daylight Saving issue and was affecting all geyser entries, not just Morning.  It was also just a reporting issue and not a storage issue.  All entry times were appearing correctly EXCEPT when using the detailed search feature and the time was during the "summer."  Winter times were not off by one hour.  This has only been an error since the latest feature release a few weeks ago so that's why no one caught the error earlier.

To give you all some transparency into how GT stores and maybe restore your confidence in GT a bit:
Entries are converted into Unix Epoch time (http://www.epochconverter.com/) and stored in the database as a single number.  This process has not had errors on GT.  Reporting of eruption times requires converting from Unix Epoch to MST/MDT.  This conversion happens for each entry time you see on GT.  Because of the added complexity of the detailed entry search, I was using a different function to do the conversion that did not account for Daylight Saving Time.

As a plea from programmers everywhere, write or call your congressman and request a repeal of Daylight Saving Time!

Thanks,
Jake