[Geysers] Riverside Intermittent Springs.

Mike Keller kscope_ynp at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 22 11:02:22 PDT 2013

Micah,

These springs don't have a name that I'm familiar with.  The largest of them is the one in your image.  Like Ralph, over the years when I was doing thermal cleaning we used to clear the pipe under the path as the microbe mat would clog it.  I've never sat by it for any length of time timing the overflow cycles, but they are not too long, probably 8-15 minutes apart.  Years ago there was some speculation if this vent and Riverside were connected.  I've never seen anything to support that suggestion.

To the south immediately next to the trail are another 3 vents with water in them.  These are cyclic spouters that rise and fall every few minutes.  The total variance from high water level to low water is about 8 inches.  At their highest levels, they can sometimes splash up to a foot.  At their lowest level there is little to no bubbling within the vents.

Directly across the asphalt trail from them is "Marathon Pool".  It's water level rises and falls with Grotto-long marathon eruptions of Grotto will drain it a couple of feet, to the point where it's microbe mat inside its basin becomes exposed to the air.  The rest of the time it is usually a few inches below overflow.  This vent has been known to erupt in the past.  The last time being in the early to mid 1960's.

MK