[Geysers] Weekly Summary 06/17-23

Micah Kipple godsfireworks at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 19:01:11 PDT 2013

Hello All,

This week I never left the Upper Geyser Basin, and most of my time was actually spent on the Hill. Here's some of my observations.

Anemone: Big's durations continue to be between 20-30 seconds with intervals between 6-17 minutes. Most eruptions begin with a rapid filling of the pool, it sits for several seconds, churns, then the splashing begins. The heights I have seen are mostly probably between 7-9 feet. Some angled bursts can douse the boardwalk with uncomfortably hot water, so stand upwind if you do decide to watch it. All concert eruptions I have seen this year have been initiated by Big, with it skipping the filling of the crater and jetting directly out of it's vent, filling as it erupts. This was the case for this week.

Little has durations between 2m 30s and about 13m. I have yet to see any over 15, although I'm sure they happen. Little still behaves like a miniature Grand, it's pool rising and falling, rising, waves forming, boiling, then erupting to 2-4 feet (4 on a good day). It will sometimes even pause for up to 30 seconds before having a miniature second, third, or even 4th "burst". These pauses seem to occur mostly during longer duration eruptions. Little usually erupts when it's pool is below overflow, then it rises to overflow, then drops as the eruption progresses.

The new area of hot ground (Nemo) has shown signs of continued growth. Steam is seen issuing from it during an Anemone eruptive sequence, and there appears to be more ground collapsing inward. Hoping to see more as the summer progresses.

Plume is still dead. Hissing and boiling at depth.

In the Dwarfsthere are still several vents active, with the main vent (North) having created it's own basin and thick mat of bacteria around it. The second most interesting vent(s) that have grabbed my attention are a string of three vents in a linear pattern over about 3 feet of ground. Appearing to be erupting from an old fissure, these vents are definitely periodic, I have yet to sit and write down intervals and durations, but I know there are definitely several minute intervals that occur.

"Mouth" now has water in it's vent, something that it did not have when I first arrived in the park. I am unsure what this means as there is still cold water from Dragon and Marmot Cave draining into it. I do not expect any eruptions as long as that is occurring.

I timed the intervals and durations of Goggles and North Gogglesoverflow, it occurs roughly every ten minutes and lasts for two minutes before draining again. I doubt we'll get any activity this year. Especially if Lion continues to have short series. but who knows?

Little Cubhas average intervals of 45-55 minutes and lasts for about 10 minutes, at night it was audibly heard boiling for several minutes before starting.

On the downhill side of Pumpgeyser, if you peer over the edge of the boardwalk in front of the bench, there is a small 2-6" sput continuously going, being a curious source of noise. Not sure if this is new or not. But it sure is fun!

Topsoil Spring has been slowly filling and periodically bubbling throughout the week, please note that tonight I observed it just above overflow, bubbling vigorously, and thumping, rocking the water within it's crater.

To the West of the Economics I have observed at least 2small geysers that are active, I'm speculating that this would be the Bush Group  that Scott mentions in his book, but I am not positive. They are located on the southern edge of the northernmost Grand runoff channel heading into the meadow. One bubbler is right on the edge of het runoff channel, and was observed erupting several inches mid week. The other geyser is located at the base of a small mound, and plays up to 3 feet high from a crater nearly hidden by the grasses and wildflowers.

Any questions or comments, feel free to speak up!

Enjoy the little things.

Micah Kipple

Geyser Gazer
Yellowstone's Clownfish