[Geysers] East Sentinel in the last decade, and historical description

MA Bellingham mabdepot at msn.com
Sat Jul 27 09:59:50 PDT 2013

Hello gazers -

The talk about East Sentinel made me curious, so I took a look in the online
OFVC logbook transcription text files.  This is not an exhaustive list, I only
looked at the years in the 1990's to present.  To save you time repeating
the search, I offer the observed eruptions, below.

Note: I may have missed a few because at first I didn't figure out that the page might
not have fully loaded on my slow connection before moving on.  I just wanted a
look at a general trend of observed or not observed, by year.  When Will
and Jake finish uploading these files into GeyserTimes it will be easier to
access the information with a search by geyser name.

9/10/1992
East Sentinel ~23:04  (2) feet down in
crater and surging violently

9/10/1992 East Sentinel ~23:04  (3) hot
H2O in west runoff channel @ 23:19

9/10/1992 East Sentinel ~23:04 (4) D.L.

9/10/1992 East Sentinel ~23:05 "(1)  steam cloud from Artemisia, H2O several"

9/4/1994 East Sentinel (1)at least one
eruption between 9/2 10:00 & 9/4 01:30 markers

9/4/1994 East Sentinel (2)on both sides
washed away. Clear evidence of geyser's H2O

9/4/1994 East Sentinel (3)washing through
sand at cone's base on NW (Firehole)side.

9/4/1994 East Sentinel (4)No flattening of
grass on SE side.  Dave Leeking.

10/6/1998      East Sentinel  12:57   ie             end 13:12

6/21/2001      East Sentinel  19:48   ie

7/10/2001      East Sentinel  11:58   ie

7/20/2002      East Sentinel  19:02                  major
eruption

8/9/2002       East Sentinel  13:06   ns             major

3/28/2005      East Sentinel  15:25   ie             major

9/2/2006       East Sentinel  19:32   ie             d >  4 minutes

2/28/2007      East Sentinel  10:14   ie

2/28/2007      East Sentinel  10:14   ie

11/4/2010      East Sentinel  16:00   ie

Also of interest I pulled this description of East Sentinel
from "Wonderland Nomenclature".

Whittlesey 1988:  "Arnold
Hague had these notes on East Sentinel Geyser about 1911:  "The bowl fills slowly with
water...becoming more and more agitated till portions of its contents are
ejected a few feet above the surface, when, with a sudden impulse, it throws an
additional quantity several feet higher, followed by the receding  of the water remaining in the bowl."

Hague stated that it was difficult to determine what the geyser's height was
owing to large amounts of steam."

Whittlesey/Nomenclature also states that Marler has East Sentinel information, but I didn't delve into Marler at this time.

Looking through the online logbook files was fun!  Snow in
June, bison patties as markers, and other fun tidbits popped out, bringing a
personal touch to what otherwise might be seen as only a place to view eruption times.  Have a look, it's fun!
 Many
MANY Thanks to Lynn, Mary Beth, and Marion for their years and years of
dedicated careful transcriptions of this valuable resource.

See you on the boardwalks,
MA

M.A. Bellingham

mabdepot at msn.com