[Geysers] Geyser activity gleaned from the internet

Demetri Stoumbos stoumbosd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:18:33 PDT 2013

I sat on Whirligig for a few hours while at Norris on July 19th (with no
success) but saw many Constants.  I noticed the pool pushing every 16-17
minutes, and with each push it made an attempt to erupt, sometimes
succeeding, sometimes failing.  About 1/2 to 2/3 of the pushes resulted in
an eruption, and each push I saw following a failed push ended up in an
eruption, that is to say no two successive pushes were both failures.  In
addition, if Constant had two successful pushes in a row, the next/third
push would fail.

On that note, I also sat on Vixen for a couple hours.  When I first got
there, everything was silent and dry save for some moisture in the sinter
gravel around the cone, but after a couple minutes I started hearing some
boiling.  The next half hour of boiling building to splashing reminded me
of how Uncertain builds up to an eruption, except on a much faster time
scale.  The first eruption at 12:35 lasted about half a minute, and it only
took 7 minutes for me to hear first boiling, by which time everything was
dry again thanks to the glaring sun.  The next half hour progressed much
like the previous wait had, except when the splashing got to the point
where the last eruption had commenced, Vixen just sat there giving
vent-filling splashes every now and then for about half an hour until a big
enough one triggered the second eruption at 13:39 for a duration of 2m35s
and an interval of 1h04m.  Afterwards I went to look at Veteran for a
little while (more than 7 minutes), and when I came back to Vixen, there
was still no audible boiling, but a couple shallow pools remained around
the pool.

Demetri Stoumbos