[Geysers] Close to Cone indicator 01-16-13

Micah Kipple godsfireworks at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 17:13:50 PST 2013

Cam Gazers had a very interesting experience today when Beehive decided to throw some Curveballs, so here's a rundown of events, I'll try to shorten it up.

At 1040 mst after observing a Lion eruption and with Beehive still in sight, Will Boekel wrote "C2C?"

The camera driver put Beehive in the center and zoomed in, it quickly became apparent that It wasn't the Main vent that steam was issuing from, it was indeed Close to Cone, and it seemed to be in eruption. I noted at 1042 that the bubblers were on as well.

confusion and speculation was the center of the conversation on the chat for the next 10-15 minutes, trying to figure out what it meant and keeping a close eye on Beehive. the camera panned out to view a Old Faithful eruption at 1054mst and then zoomed back in on Beehive. At this point Steve (unsure of his last name) arrived on the cam and explained that Close to Cone is not a very reliable indicator, and that it usually shows up in the winter months, or when Bee is becoming erratic. (not sure if this is fact, but that's what was said.)

Around 1110 I noted that basically every vent that can be seen on the Webcam around Bee was steaming. Bubblers, Close to Cone, and indicator.

Finally at 1017 (Pat Snyder actually saw it start at 1016, but we didn't catch it.) We saw indicator erupt. It erupted until 1028 when Beehive had an EXPLOSIVE start and it was easily the best eruption of 2013 so far, here's a video of it for those who are interested.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qRp_mDFV5g

Micah Kipple

Volcanoes are God's Fireworks