[Geysers] Anemone concert observations 01-09-13

David Schwarz david.schwarz at alumni.duke.edu
Fri Jan 11 18:30:45 PST 2013

   I didn't watch Anemone at all this summer, but based on a quick scan
through various YouTube and Flickr videos, 20-25 seconds doesn't seem like
an unreasonable duration for the part of Anemone's eruption that's easily
visible by webcam.  Bear in mind that when we're timing it up close, we
usually take the time from when the first water rushes into the vent, but
it can be easily 10-20 seconds from then until the first significant
bursts, which is what you'd see on the webcam.  You also probably lose
about 5 seconds of splashes that barely break the surface before the
eruption is clearly over as viewed from up-close.

   This is why geyser eruption times observed from afar are almost always
recorded as n.s.--even geysers like Daisy and Riverside where it seems like
it shouldn't make much difference.  There's often some kind of initial
activity that you can really only see up close.

David Schwarz