[Geysers] Gazing Game

Bill Johnson canbelto at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:31:57 PST 2013

This does look like fun.  Two minor additions (with a bit of snarkage), and
then one moderately serious "are you sure you want to do that?"

The additions: You might want to assign some small number, 50 points or so
and only claimable once, for seeing an "eruption" from Fishing Cone's side
vent at West Thumb.  (You could also give a BIG number for seeing Fishing
Cone itself in eruption, but be prepared for that one to go unclaimed for a
very long time...)  Also, some decent number of points, at least 500 and
maybe more, should be awarded (once) for seeing an eruption of (New)
Imperial Geyser.  Your chances of seeing it erupt if you get to it are
essentially 100%, but just getting there requires a degree of commitment
that should be rewarded, IMO.  Same also with Cliff Geyser.

Now the mildly serious thing:

> Jump continuously as high as you can to get a bead on Mastiff’s Water
> level for at least 30 seconds

I know you intended this as tongue-in-cheek, but I think it is very
important to avoid things that appear to give, or could even be construed
as giving, the non-gazer or inexperienced gazer an invitation to do
something illegal, dumb and/or dangerous.  This could qualify.  Points for
"gazers being gazers" are a fun thing, but I would feel just awful if
somebody got arrested, or even worse, hurt, as a result of seeing me and
saying "well, *he* was doing it, and he's one of those gazers."

-- Bill Johnson