[Geysers] Anemone Questions

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 09:40:14 PST 2013

You'll find answers to your questions in Hutchinson and/or Martinez's reports for 1976 and 1977. Here's what Sam wrote in his August, 1976 report (he didn't mention Anemone in his July 1976 report, other than to list "South Anemone" in the list of geysers active on Geyser Hill): The north and central vents remained inactive throughout August.  During the quiet perios of the South Anemone the central vent or North Anemone Geyser would haver periods of steam ejection and low roaring, but no water was ever seen.  These occurred at long and uncertain intervals and lasted only a few seconds.     The south crater was in eruption much of the time, but pauses did occur with enough frequency to prevent any discharge from reaching the river.  the intervals and durations of the South Anemone were never measured but they appeared to be only slightly longer than those of last summer. The only comment in Sam's September 1976 report was to include only South Anemone in the list of active geysers.  Here's what Rick said in his 1976 annual report: Anemone
Geyser:  Sometime during late fall, the large northern
vent of Anemone became dormant.
Occasional eruptions of long duration (greater than 10 minutes) were
observed.  Such a pattern is similar to
what was reported following the 1959 Hebgen Lake Earthquake.  An interesting behavior has been observed for
the north vent which may in part explain the cause of its dormancy.  On many occasions it will emit a vigorous,
but brief puff of steam just as Plume Geyser begins its display 95 feet to the
west-southwest.

Here's what Rick wrote in his 1977 annual report: Anemone Geyser - During late fall of 1976 the large northern vent of Anemone became dormant.  It was not observed in erution again until August 3, 1977, at which time a different pattern of behavior was noted.  This is exclusive of an isolated eruption recorded in the "west vent" on May 28th.  While previously each eruption was heralded by a rapid rise in water level up the tube-like vent and out onto the shallow beaded sinter floor in advance of the fountaining activity, this year the two steps in the cycle were reversed.  A noisy, spitting an splashing of steam and much less water marked the start of the eruptions which were then concluded with only a partial filling and rapid draining.  Height of eruption out of the large northern vent seemed to be down from last year to only around 0.6 - 1.5 meters. Lynn StephensDate: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 20:56:25 -0800