[Geysers] Grand Prismatic on an iPad?

Gordon Bower taigabridge at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 22:00:27 PDT 2013

Karen Webb asked:

> There's
> something in the proportions of the plane and the boardwalk that
> doesn't track the longer you look at it, and would there be a shadow on
> Grand Pris?

The plane is much closer to the camera than the spring and boardwalk are. In the photo the pool appears to be about 5 wingspans across; in fact Grand Prismatic is more like 8 times as wide as the typical 2- or 4-seater's wingspan. That is, the plane is at least 1/3 of the way from the ground to the photographer.

Normally you don't fly lower than 2000 feet above a national park (in which case the photographer must be 5-6000 feet above the ground). I think it more likely they were  ~1000 and ~3000 feet up for this photo... but in either case, as the photo is only showing a swath of ground about 500 feet across, the plane's shadow is going to be quite a long way off the edge of the screen.

GRB