[Geysers] Fan and Mortar 9/30/2012

Will Boekel wolveslax65 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 30 22:24:01 PDT 2012

I finally got my first Fan and Mortar today (9/30/2012)!!! Below are the details that I saw since I was the only one there when the eruption cycle started, Polly is going to add more details later also.

11:09 – Shortly after arriving at F&M, River and Gold were off but Angle was on and Bottom Vent was spritzing but was nowhere near a full eruption.

~11:16 – Everything shut off. Bottom vent may have had a few really small splashes when all of the other vents in the system went off.

11:24 – River on

11:33 – Angle and Gold on. Angle and Gold came on at about the same time but I am pretty sure I saw a splash or two in Angle before Gold by a few seconds. At this point there were still no splashes in Main (not even a lot of steam, only very small wisps) and Bottom was only spritzing to about 3 / 4 the way up the rock it hits. Polly would have a better description on the water levels, but I would say they were nothing to special than what I had seen in the previous event cycle.

~11:42-11:43 – Water in High and Gold suddenly became very good. High was steady at about 5-7 ft and Gold was about 3-4 ft steady. Seeing that made me forget to see what angle was doing.

11:44 – Polly radio call saying F&M is thinking about going and to think about getting your butt down to the rock pile.

11:48 – FAN AND MORTAR!!!! East vent initiated and was soon followed by only a few seconds by Main and Mortar. Polly has the duration for the eruption.

During the cycle no splashing was seen in Main Vent until the eruption had started.

In the end all I have to say is WOW!!! Fan & Mortar are my new favorite geysers. Water went everywhere. Fan hit Norris pools and Mortar hit the bridge pretty well also.

Link to the video that was started just after East vent initiated and it only has the start part: http://youtu.be/fuM2EV8SVx8?hd=1

Go F&M!!,

Will Boekel