[Geysers] Geyser Report Saturday, September 22, 2012

Andiy Wagner diggerfieldmouse at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 21:54:08 PDT 2012

Besides the cyclist madness it was a real weird day all the way around.
Apparently it was "Bike Yellowstone Day" or something...
Andiy's informal report of the basin.
Grand also went very early of its 3:45 predicted time. It went at 2:38pm.
Riverside also went just after 5pm. I will get back to these.
Castle was the most interesting. It had a minor in the morning as you
mentioned and then was doing its sloppy crap. Then all of a sudden at about
1:40ish it suddenly kicked into a major (I guess Rick called this a "mixed
eruption" as I remember which is pretty rare). The major lasted for twenty
minutes and had several late high water splashes. It also was acting more
like a fountain geyser by throwing water our in burst series not a steady
stream like it normally does. Steam phase kicked in after twenty-five
minutes and it was in full roar still when Grand went. We maintain since we
had someone who had never seen it before and my roommate (whose favorite
geyser is Castle) it went for them.
Ironically Grand was behaving like a cone geyser and though had several 200
foot plus throws was only one burst at nearly 15 minutes long and was
constantly throwing water in a continuous stream and low. West triplet was
going when we got there at 2:15 and drained by the time Grand was done.
Vent took nearly ten minutes to join Turban and Grand. Since my mother and
Grand do not care for each other we were surprised that she went early -
again Linda and Heather were there.
Next was Beehive at 3:45 and this was after it had the back small vent
(Spurt?) going at 11:30 and cones splashing. The indicator splashed twice
and then it backed down from that. No one saw or heard the night eruption
and so it was rolled through from Friday at noon. I did not get to see this
eruption, but the gazers we met at Riverside told us it had gone. While
watching Beehive we had a beautiful backlit Old Faithful eruption and
several bluebirds to entertain us until we got board and decided to go have
lunch at Castle during it's sloppy stuff. It at least was throwing water
around.
Daisy went early also being predicted for 4:40 and went at 4:20. Still
within window, but interesting with the track record of geysers for the day.
Riverside was predicted for 5:40 and went shortly after five. It was
beautiful and had many rainbows for everyone. Great way to wrap up the day.
Also on the way back to the car we had a Lion eruption through the trees.
We were talking to some tourists and so did not note the time, but was near
6pm.
:)