[Geysers] Geyser Activity at Canyon?

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 07:14:36 PDT 2012

Per Whittlesey, this geyser was named in 1960 as Upstream Artists Point
Geyser (and that should be taken as the official name!). Phantom Bridge is a
decent sounding name, but it would seem to be a no-go.

One of the last times when I was at Artists Point, that geyser was active
although, as usual, it reached nowhere near across the river -- I haven't
seen  it do that in many years. I also saw a small geyser on the north-side
canyon  face not far downstream from the viewpoint; there are actually several
on that  canyon wall, but most are very small. As for Red Rock Geyser you'd
need to find  a place across the canyon to see it from or go well down
Uncle Tom's  Trail, and sit; pretty scenery, but. And since the trail no longer
allows  access to Tom Thumb, Watermelon, etc., perhaps a study with a good
spotting  scope from Lookout Point would show something; but all of those
features are  small.

Well, so I don't think many gazers are going to spend much time observing
these geysers.

Scott Bryan

In a message dated 9/18/2012 5:37:54 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,