[Geysers] Monarch Geyser in 1913 and possibly 1920 from Lee Whittlesey

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Tue Sep 18 07:50:32 PDT 2012

The photograph in Allen and Day of Monarch Geyser, showing it erupting
intensely muddy water, was taken in 1913 by Jack Ellis Haynes. It is one of
Jack's photos from that year. I believe that it is Jack's photo #13006, but
it should be compared with his photos H-5788 and H-5789, also from that
year. Jack's notes in the Haynes papers at MSU state that his method of
cataloging his photos was to put the year first (in this case "13")
followed by the photo number of that year (in this case "006").  Jack's
many postcards can thus be dated in this fashion.

Guidebook writer Edward Frank Allen wrote that during 1913 Monarch Geyser
played every hour and threw out black mud instead of clear water.

The 1913 eruptions are the last eruptions of Monarch of which I could find
record for WONDERLAND NOMENCLATURE, with one possible parenthetical note
for 1920 when M.P. Skinner wrote that Monarch was playing at "rare and
irregular intervals" even though the Monthly Reports of the Superintendent
state that Monarch was not playing at all in 1920 and was "inactive" in
1921.

Twenty-four years later, even after locating hundreds of additional
sources, this remains the best information that I have.

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian

             <TSBryan at aol.com>
             Sent by:
             <geysers-bounces@                                          To
             lists.wallawalla.         <geysers at lists.wallawalla.edu>
             edu>                                                       cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/17/2012 10:47          Re: [Geysers] Challenges/demands
             AM                        for the geyser geek

             Please respond to
                  Geyser
                Observation
                  Reports
             <geysers at lists.wa
               llawalla.edu>

Neither photo is dated in Allen & Day. There is little question but that
the photo of Imperial was taken in either 1928 or 1929, but there is
nothing in either the caption or the text to say which year. The photo of
Monarch certainly was taken far earlier, given that it "ceased to play in
1911" [quote from the photo caption], but there is no date indication
beyond that.

Scott Bryan

P.S. while it generally is known from the address, I do wish people would
put their name at the end of an e-mail (as is supposed to be done).

In a message dated 9/16/2012 9:04:57 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,