[Geysers] GSA article

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 18:56:48 PDT 2012

Karen Webb wrote:  "I    noticed in Barb's reports that a lot of observed eruptions now    Grand-induced. These had seemed rare previously, and I think every    other one I've seen happened at the close of a Turban Delay. Market    research????"
I've reported several times in the Sput about the changing percentages for Grand versus Turban starts over the years.  The most recent article appeared in the April 2012 issue where I recapped data as follows:   1976 (per Hutchinson) Grand starts-  --  91.2%2005 (Stephens using OFVC logbook) -- 27.2%2006 (Stephens using OFVC logbook) -- 18.8%2007 (Stephens using OFVC logbook) -- 23.3%2008 (Stephens using OFVC logbook) -- 17.6%2009 (Stephens using OFVC logbook) -- 16.0%2010 (Stephens using OFVC logbook) -- 20.1%2011 (Jim Scheir data)                      -- 16.2% Note that Grand starts dominated in 1976.  I'm not at home with access to my Yellowstone library, so can't provide more information right now showing how the numbers changed from 1976 through 2005.  I haven't done anything with 2012 data yet; Jim will probably do something when he gets home and has time to do so. I received copies of the April 2011 through March 15, 2012 OFVEC logbook pages this summer.  Since then I've been on the road most of the time, and will be on the road for another two weeks or so, so haven't had much time to transcribe them.  The 2011 logbook through May 31 is available on the GOSA website.  As I find time this fall, I'll finish transcribing the pages I've received. Lynn Stephens