[Geysers] Yesterday's M3.5

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Thu Sep 6 14:18:12 PDT 2012

3.5  2012/09/05 22:52:51 44.779 -110.935 7.2 19 km ( 12 mi) NE of West Yellowstone, MT   This epicenter was closer to Norris than any other basin.

I find it refreshing that a "decent" earthquake occurred in the Park yesterday.  And BTW one site has it M3.7, another M3.5.  To me it seemed odd that very little EQ activity was taking place over the last year or so, especially after the swarms of small quakes.  Prior to yesterday most weeks had less than a handful of miniscule EQ's (M1's usually) on the map.  A few years back M2's and M3's happened often by comparison.

Previous recent moderate or greater Yellowstone area quakes were a M3.8 on 8/29/04 and a M4.5 (outside the Park near Ennis) on 5/8/07.

Perhaps yesterday's event is related to the change in Grand's activity.  I'm thinking in terms of underground pressure and the EQ being a subsequent relief of that.  Have there been any other unusual notable geyser pre- or after-effects?

Thanks,
Udo Freund
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  --Will Rogers