[Geysers] Mastiff Function Giant?

David Schwarz david.schwarz at alumni.duke.edu
Mon Oct 1 19:10:46 PDT 2012

There's this one by Tara Cross:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxPHCRx0hok&feature=relmfu

The video you're describing was probably one of mine, either July 22 or
August 10 of 1997.  Those were both on chilly mornings with unfortunate
wind directions and turned into steam walls once Mastiff got started.

I've got one from July of 2007 where Mastiff and Catfish are somewhat more
visible than in the 1997 videos.  I'll try to edit that one and put it up
in the next few weeks.

It's worth noting that with maybe one or two exceptions, what we've been
calling "Mastiff Function" eruptions were not on the scale of the eruptions
of the 1950s.  Mastiff in the 1980s-2000s has generally been in the 20-40
foot range and has been stopping almost immediately once Giant has started,
a far cry from Marler's dual columns to 100 and 75 feet continuing 5
minutes into Giant's eruptions.

David Schwarz