[Geysers] Lone Star Predictions

Michael Goldberg goldbeml at ucmail.uc.edu
Mon Oct 1 07:26:45 PDT 2012

I agree with everything Scott said here.  The logbook was still there when
I visited in July.  It's an interesting cultural artifact as well as a
repository of crowd-sourced eruption times.

One thing I noticed on the last visit is that Lone Star seemed to have a
few distinct modes of preplay.  One is the hevy sloppy splashing and
jetting from the main vent that makes you wonder how much it's going to
take to get an eruption started.  Another mode has quiet overflow from
the main vent and intermittent spitting from other little holes on top of
the cone, then it builds steadily into the eruption.
(if there was a third mode, I forget what it is now.)

My impression is that recovery after a major eruption always follows
the first mode.  And the second mode might be typical of recovery from a
full-length (4-5 minute) minor eruption leading into a major.

But I only watched a few cycles, not nearly enough to draw conclusions.
Has anyone else noticed this behavior before?
I'm pretty sure it is not new.

Michael Goldberg
Michael.Goldberg at uc.edu