[Geysers] Grand without Grand?

Mary Beth Schwarz schwarzmb at gmail.com
Sat May 19 08:03:15 PDT 2012

     Janet, thanks for reporting something you had not seen before. You
never know whether it might be something very unusual or alternatively just
something new to you.  The geysers can do strange and wonderful things for
us!

     What you described sounds like AFTERPLAY at Grand.  When Grand erupts
and then finishes its eruption, Turban and Vent either Continue for about
20 to 45 minutes (or longer) or they Quit and then must restart, which can
take from about 3 minutes to over 25 minutes (during which the Grand area
is quiet),  and erupt for a while after Grand.  It is also possible for
Turban and Vent to have an extra restart after the first one and that is
usually when there are longer intervals of Grand.  If T&V Restart, Turban
usually begins first and Vent joins in.  Either way (Continue or Quit),
there will be sparkly afterplay splashes from Grand's empty crater with a
little left over water in the system during part of the T&V eruption after
Grand just as you saw.

     Many times I have encouraged people to stay after Grand finishes to
see this lovely splashing, and I do remember the first time I saw it and
thought it was remarkable and beautiful.  It is still fun to watch even
after all the years.

     Mary Beth Schwarz