[Geysers] Radio call and the OFVEC

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Sun May 13 12:09:31 PDT 2012

I'm concerned by Inez's final statement in her Black Sand Pool post.
She states that the OFVEC is only recording radio calls from certain
individuals.  As a result, some gazers have decided not to report over
the radio.

I suspect this is a misunderstanding about the radios, reporting and
gazers relationship with the OFVEC interpretive staff.  Firstly, early
in the season is always a time of changing expectations, overwork,
under-staffing and misunderstandings.  We should all remember that not
all interps record radio calls.  In fact it isn't part of their job
description.  They do it as a service and to help with their
predictions.  It is never a priority.  Not all interps are attuned to
the radios, some can't hear them, some don't have the time to record
reports, some are reluctant to record data from those they do not know
and unfortunately, some don't care.  On the other hand, some do care and
try to record everything they hear.  (It is always dangerous to paint
everyone with the same brush.)

Use of the FRS radios was started as a means for gazers to communicate
geyser information amongst themselves.  Some interps have found
monitoring the radios to be useful for their work.  I know it can feel
frustrating and hurtful when the OFVEC doesn't appear to listen to our
calls but we need to understand the pressures the staff is working under
in their jobs.  We need to try to understand them as people and not take
it personally when our calls aren't acknowledged or recorded.

Withholding radio calls won't solve the issue.  Ultimately, radio
silence only hurts those that are interested in the information, namely
other geyser gazers.

Dave

PS I've been holding a post that Inez sent in concerning how geyser
gazers interact with others.  It is an interesting post with important
ideas.  Tara and I are working on a response that we hope will generate
some constructive discussion on the list.  We hope to post our response
soon.