[Geysers] Spasm, Super Frying Pan, and Jet

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:06:12 PDT 2012

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE TRANSACTIONS OR THE SPUT (except for Tara's permission to use in the Current Geyser Activity column as appropriate). In reviewing my data from my two trips this summer, Spasm's intervals vary from about 3 to 4 hours, with durations of about 35-75 minutes.  I have not noticed any correlation between Spasm's starts and Fountain's starts.  More often than not, Spasm is not erupting at the time Fountain starts. Super Frying Pan intervals have varied from about 2 to 3 1/2 hours, with durations varying from 7 to 14 minutes.  As Steve Eide noted in a post early in the 2012 season, Super Frying Pan almost always has a rise, then a fall below ground level, then sometimes a second rise/fall, before the eruption starts.  Similarly, the end of the eruption often has a fall below ground level, then a subsequent rise with additiional eruptive activity, before the cessation of all activity.  Super Frying Pan eruptions that occur earlier in the interval between one Fountain and the next appear to have a greater influence on Jet than do Super Frying Pan eruptions that either occur later in the interval between one Fountain and the next or start during Fountain.  Sometimes it appears there is no impact on Jet.  At other times Jet appears to skip one or two intervals.  There does not appear to be any impact on Jet when Super Frying Pan erupts during Fountain's eruption. Jet intervals--I have recorded several hundred intervals.  The mean and median (excluding intervals during Fountain's eruption and intervals between the 6/30 eruption of Morning and the next eruption of Fountain, are 10 minutes.  I don't see any pattern in the intervals that would help in determining how much longer it will be before the next eruption of Fountain, other than there is sometimes a period of a few hours after Fountain's eruption where Jet becomes inactive. Lynn Stephens