[Geysers] Geyser Report Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Barbara Lasseter barbara.lasseter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 15:52:18 PDT 2012

I was awakened early this AM by thunder and lightning.   As the
morning progessed, we got a lot of wind, but no rain (yet).  The skies
had interesting clouds, and lots of haze (ID fires?).  I stopped to
watch a bull elk at Whiskey Flats.  He was intent on eating, ignoring
the crowds gathered on the pull out above him.  Visitors were deciding
if that was an elk or a moose and were impressed by his "horns".  One
youngster asked why they were fuzzy, another if it was a girl or a
boy.  Never underestimate the educational benefits of travel--for
children AND adults!  Most of my time was spent in the lower geyser
basin.  I had forgotten to put on my watch, but Lynn Stephens
graciously loaned me one.

Grand: 0306e, 1000 2 burst
Plume: 0850, 0945
Rift: 0916ie
Fountain: 1235 (so much wind there that I was suprised to see the temp
was in the mid-70's when I returned to the car)
Great Fountain: 0020e, 1102 p=6
Labial: 0739
Pink Cone: 0851  (minimal rainbows with so much haze filtering the sunshine)
White Dome ie @ 1016, 1040, 1110
Morning's Thief: 1033, 1058, 1122, 1134, 1216, 1230, 1236
Artemisia: 0704ie

Many of the multitude of gazers we have enjoyed seeing in the park
have or are leaving.  I know their visits go too quickly for them--and
for me also!  It's wrenching to think that's it for another year, or
at least we all hope it's just for another year.  Travel safely and
take care!!

Barbara Lasseter