[Geysers] Regarding the Live Streaming Cam

Pat Snyder riozafiro at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 11:46:56 PST 2012

Hi.
Thank you for your reply, Carolyn. This clarifies a few things about the streaming cam and how it is used. And thank you to the cam operator volunteers, too.

As a geyser webcam addict and frequent poster to geysertimes.org, I'd like to make a few comments (I won't speak to the geyser chat room, I don't log in to it).

First, a big thank you to Jake for geysertimes.org. It's a great tool. Case in point: the recent North Goggles eruptions--it was so nice to see the data as it was happening and also see the chart of activity, too.

In terms of accuracy, though, I believe geysertimes.org is pretty darn close, given the restrictions of time zones (where people are, including Europe!), the cameras getting stuck, browser issues, etc. etc. etc. Here's why:

• Webcam times are posted as such, with a wc added.
• Times we are unsure about are posted with a "?."
• If the geyser wasn't seen from the start, we can post it i.e. (in eruption).
• Incorrect times can be deleted.
• We have the option to add a note/comment about a geyser if we just want to make an observation.
• We also have an opportunity to "flag" a time we think is incorrect and make comments about the reason why it was flagged.
• When the park is open, occasional live reports are posted.

Sure, we have to guess that rolling narrow steam cloud at the "V" in the trees is Riverside, and on mornings where everything is making big steam, it's hard to tell one geyser from another. But those of us who contribute to geysertimes.org strive to do our best to be accurate in our geyser time reporting.

Pat Snyder