[Geysers] '11-'12 winter phenomena

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 16 13:03:22 PST 2012

Sunday I skied to the various new-and-different activity spots in the basin.

I got to North Goggle at 1244, saw another short minor (not reported) at 1246 (d~2 min.) and saw a normal Goggles cycle at 1306 (the next minor was reported at 1312).   Bison pushed me off the Hill, so I went to Black Sand Pool next and enjoyed the continuing thumping, eruptions to 5+ feet, and sizzling.  I think visitors are visiting it daily, so we'll likely hear if the activity stops during the rest of the season.

The other thing I've been meaning to mention is Cauliflower eruptions to 5 feet or so.  This was noticed first 2/2, 1355 i.e., duration over 15 seconds.  I saw another in progress on 2/5 at 1529 i.e. on a snowmobile drive-by.  Attempts to persuade guides to watch for more activity have failed, so far.

Fan & Mortar, and Giant, are checked daily, to no effect.

Carolyn Loren