[Geysers] Remote Geyser Gazing By The Moon

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 19:22:39 PST 2012

Kitt asked a question on the webcam chat page.  She was wondering how I
was able to see late night eruptions on the webcam.  The simple answer
is that after midnight, after the original UGB still camera resets for
the new day, it is possible to see eruptions by moonlight.

The other night I was bored and decided to celebrate an unusually clear
night sky.  I should qualify that, clear by Seattle standards.  I
happened to take a photo of the Moon at approximately the same time that
Old Faithful erupted in Yellowstone.  I've included my combined images.
For clarity I brightened the Old Faithful image slightly but the
eruption was easily visible in its original form.

During these long winter months, I have to be creative in my geyser
gazing.  But it can still be fun.

Dave