[Geysers] What is this thermal feature?

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Aug 29 15:36:14 PDT 2012

River Growler. The force of the steam emission varies some but it is steady
 and I, at least, have never seen a trace of liquid water coming from it
(other  than steam condensate, of course). Here is Whittlesey's brief entry
from  _Wonderland Nomenclature_.

RIVER GROWLER---A hot spring (sometimes  a roaring fumarole) of the Castle
Group of Upper Geyser Basin, located at  water's edge on Firehole River
across the river from Terra Cotta Spring ("Brick  Spring").  It was
characteristically  named in 1959 by naturalists studying the effects of the earthquake
of that year  on thermal features._[1]_
(aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftn1)
Note that I will argue against  saying "Castle Group", since this is on the
east side of the river. But that's a  picky point. Note, too, that Lee is
referring to Terra Cotta Spring, not to the  Terra Cotta geysers that are
much closer to the river bridge. Last, that feature  in one of the photos
downstream and across the river is Spanker Geyser.
Scott Bryan

_[1]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref1)   Map:  "Castle Group,
Upper Geyser  Basin", Watson and Higgins, 1959.

In a message dated 8/29/2012 8:48:21 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,