[Geysers] Unnamed geyser on Geyser Hill near Sponge (Schwarz)

Gordon Bower taigabridge at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 22 09:53:33 PDT 2012

I was under the misapprehension that both vents in Graham's picture were Slot.

The first, and pretty much only, time I ever heard about Slot was in 1992 right after Boardwalk appeared. At that time it was an almost-dry crater -- somewhat like an exclamation point with the "dot" being the small vent on the left. The handful of times I saw it splash, water was shot up from the small vent and sideways (left to right) in the elongated right vent at the same time. Like the water was rising vertically under the left side and being split, Fantail-like.

You had to stand on top of the bench at Sponge to see the water droplets.

I never did hear when or why it was named, or when it had last been active. I had assumed it was from the trough-like outline of the right crater but it seemed a poor name for an insignificant geyser. I am happy to hear one of the vents is actually slotlike.

GRB