[Geysers] geyser-heated poultry house (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 07:48:00 PDT 2012

Thanks Scott.   I think the picture is probably the hothouse that was built in 1897 and was "designed to raise 'green stuff for the winter keeper and for similar purposes for the hotel' (Master Plan, 1939)."  The building was located "in an area behind where the Lower UGB Gas Station is today [1995], rested on a hot spring formation so as to keep it heated year round.  Howe, the manager of the YPA's hotels, ran the hothouse."  The building was still in place until at least 1939 since it was shown on the 1939 Master Plan.  {Source:  The Evolution of the Cultural Landscape in Yellowstone National Park's Upper Geyser basin and the changing Visitor Experience, 1892-1990" Master's Thesis by Karl John Bryand.}  Brand listed some of the other buildings built in association with the hotels in the UGB, including a privy for the shack hotel, and a comment by Assistant superintendent weimer that the "outhouse's location could be more discreet...and that the hotel grounds were 'utterly intolerable for a dog' because they were constantly littered with trash and other debris."  Brand discusses housing and laundry facilities for use by employees that were built by the hotel; and says "the Hotel company added other smaller structures." In addiition to a small caretaker's quarters, two separate engineers' quarters, the company buillt a "carpenter and paint shop, pipe shot, tailor shop, broiler house and power plane, a hose house, and a larger boler room/laundry."  Unfortunately, I couldn't find any mention of the "geyser-heated poultry house" in Brand's thesis. LynnFrom: TSBryan at aol.com