[Geysers] Reference to Old Faithful Inn Poultry house (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 15 08:00:33 PDT 2012

Oops, I hit send too quickly.  I should also mention that I have the reference to the poultry house that appeared in Reinhart and Henry's Old Faithful Inn, Crown Jewel of National Park Lodges. "A herd of around 45 milk cows kept Old Faithful Inn and its
northern neighbor, the Fountain Hotel, supplied with fresh milk; their guests
consumed 60 to 70 gallons per day in 1914. The herd was managed by three men
near Lower Geyser Basin. Swan Lake Flat was pasture for cattle that supplied
fresh beef to the park’s hotels. There was a chicken house just south of the Inn
which supplied fresh eggs for the dining room. In summer 1914, ice was
manufactured by machine at the Inn for both geyser basin hotels. Seventy to 80
100-pound cakes were made daily to keep perishables cold." Lynn Stephens