[Geysers] Giant?

Steven Krause S_Krause at mchsi.com
Tue Oct 11 17:28:58 PDT 2011

When looking at data of unknown overall quality, at work we employ a
couple techinques to cut the noise level down and increase the
confidence in the data without having to resort to statistical
techniques that don't apply to very small data samples.

They're pretty simple. The biggest hazard here would be the risk of
offending potentially valuable contributors.

A> Require an ID. Could be anything  - doesn't matter as long as it's a
unique ID to the poster. Yes, this creates additional headache, but good
data is worth it, right?

B> "Behind the scenes" there is a confidence level assigned to that ID.
100% for an acknowledged accurate observer. Less than that for a casual
observer. Lowest for a previously unknown.

C> Don't post low grade observations publically until a couple days
after when there's been a chance to confirm them. Liars are looking to
create a stir, and the inability to instantly gratify their need may be
enough to discourage goofy stuff like this.

The downside, obviously, is that the whole thing just became more of a
chore to manage which may be enough of an argument against it.

SRK

--
Steven Krause
Chillicothe, IL