[Geysers] Giant?

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Tue Oct 11 09:01:29 PDT 2011

Thank you Karen for checking Giant this morning.

This is what she found.

Karen› "Giant definitely did not erupt.  All 5 log signs in position"

This is not the first "hoax" post to the online geyser log.  This is a
problem because I'm beginning to believe that the online geyser logs are
our best opportunity to preserve and distribute visually observed geyser
times.  The OFVEC logbook has gotten sparse.  Reports to the geyser list
or on Facebook are extremely sparse, to say the least.  People seem to
be using the online logs.  So I have two questions I'd like to hear
opinions about.

1) How important are the online logs to capturing geyser information?

2) How do we minimize errors in that log?

I know the ultimate decisions affecting the online logs are up to Jake
and Alan, but I'm wondering what others think.

The links to the online logs are
GeyserTimes.org <http://www.geysertimes.org/index.php>
Geyser.Net Mobile <http://www.geysers.net/mobile/>

If you haven't been to GeyserTimes recently, Jake has added some nice
features including some data reduction capabilities.

Dave