[Geysers] Online logs

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 15:30:40 PDT 2011

See below...

In a message dated 10/11/2011 9:03:35 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
dmonteit at comcast.net writes:

1) How  important are the online logs to capturing geyser  information?
One needs to carefully ponder this. Clearly, we'd like to have every
eruption of every geyser logged someplace. Obviously, that's impossible.
However, within the limits of how many people are making observations at a  given
time, seasonal openings-closings, day-night, and etc., it would be nice to
have what geyser information is available in any form readily AND
conveniently available to all.

That "conveniently" is, to me, a bug-a-boo. Jake mentions how smart phones
will be the next big thing in gazing and geyser reporting. Fine. If you
have a  smart phone. I don't, and I am rather sure to not have one in the
foreseeable  future. (I'm not about to pay yet another $250+/year for "data
service" on top  of all the other charges I'm already paying. Just not worth it.
So much for  that.

2)  How do we minimize errors in that log?
In essence, you can't. There have been faulty geyser reports a huge number
of times in the past. It happens every summer, with frequency. Usually,
this is  somebody's simple and unintentional error, and usually they quickly
get  corrected. But even those, if relayed to an online log and if not
corrected,  then they will be out there as "fact," presumably "forever."

And yes, there have been occasional liars. People who intentionally
produce/post completely false data/information. Such people exist. They will
exist in the future, too.

3)  [[not asked by Dave, but...]] I know  the ultimate decisions affecting
the online logs are up to Jake
and Alan,  but I'm wondering what others think.
What I wonder is... wouldn't one of these logs be sufficient, especially
since they appear to be readily sharing/exchanging data. Yes, I know they are
 both personal projects and all that, but...