[Geysers] Closing Weekend: Vixen 5 Nov 2011

MA Bellingham mabdepot at msn.com
Tue Nov 8 07:50:25 PST 2011

A 20 degree visit to Vixen this past Saturday revealed water in the catch basin, so I thought I had just missed an eruption and would be in for a wait.   There was water noise, and my friends were coming around the other way, so I waited.   The next eruption was fairly soon after my arrival, so we waited for a closed interval.  Even in blustery (ie really cold) conditions, I was delighted to observe 5 eruptions, 4 closed intervals ranging from 11 - 17 minutes.   The last eruption was a major at 3.5 minutes, the others were less than 2 minutes in duration.   The classic drain sounds were there, but water noises returned to the system in less than 4 minutes, quick refill!   Unfortunately the cold got the best of me and I did not stay for the interval following the last, the major.   If these intervals continue, that's a good omen for winter visitors.

Steam tracers in the brisk winds weren't too photogenic, but I was glad to see it one last time.  Fireball was active.  Congress was boiling more heavily than my last visit.

To gazers, hikers and history nerds, my friends, thanks for a great summer 2011,
MA

M.A. Bellingham
mabdepot at msn.com