[Geysers] Spring Creek picnics

Janet Johns janet.johns5 at verizon.net
Sun May 15 06:34:53 PDT 2011

I know its been many years since the July 4 picnics.    We had a number of picnics and yes, the last one was over 100 people.

We have picnic pictures from:
1988- in the Ham's parking lot with the Freunds, Dunns, Hoppes, Johns, and Bob Berger.  I think that was the first one.
1989 picnic at Biscuit Basin...the group is much larger. Includes Bob Hoffman, Johns, Goldbergs, Freunds, Fritzs, Dunns, Marie Wolfe,  Tom Houghman and Ann Deutch, Tomas Vachuda, and the backs of a bunch we can't name.
1990-Spring Creek
1991- Morning interrupted planned picnic at Ojo Caliente, Lew and I left Morning to tell Bob and Dave, and we still haven't seen Morning!.

Our camera broke and we have zero pictures until 1996. But I remember (ha-trust that one).
1992- I think one was held at Great Fountain?  I remember a Great Fountain picnic and Udo's trunk full of wine!
1993- Maybe the last picnic? The last picnic was in the Lower Ham Store and was over a hundred people.  Bob and Dave Berger cooked spaghetti the entire day before to make enough pasta and we went to West to purchase 15 loaves of bread to turn to garlic toast.  The Freunds provide much wine!

Planning a picnic around geysers is important.  But given that we need to keep active geysers and weather in mind...should we plan a July 4th picnic at the Nes Pierce picnic area to honor Sam?  It has lots of parking space, outhouses and a lack of mosquitoes that the Spring Creek area is famous for hosting. Hot dogs, beans and beer?  We have a grill and I bet lots of others do also that could bring them along.  Or in front of the Ham's store?  I was worried about too many people for in front of the Ham store.  Ideas?

Oh, if gas goes above $4.75 a gal, we won't be in the park this year.  But I'm hoping that isn't happening.

Jan