[Geysers] Some Recent Geyser Activity

jimscheir at aol.com jimscheir at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 18:26:59 PDT 2011

June 10, 2011

First, I am sure that everyone will be glad to hear that Joanne Kearney is OK and back at work. I spoke to her in the VEC today.

I have now been in Yellowstone for a month. Here is a summary of some of the things I have observed.

Grand
I have now seen 35 eruptions of Grand. I saw 15 1-burst, 17 2-burst, 2 3-burst eruptions and the 6-burst eruption.

I saw a D0 eruption at 27 minutes after the previous Turban, an eruption about 4 minutes after the start of Turban, and yesterday an eruption 3m34s after the start of Turban.

I saw one eruption 40 minutes into the eruption of Rift (Rift shut off when Grand started) and 2 eruptions of Grand while West Triplet was erupting. [West Triplet was just overflowing without erupting for my first 3-4 days in the park and for another 3-4 day period around the Memorial Day weekend.]

Note: The WC report on Grand at 0536 for 6/8 must be a typo. The actual eruption time was 0555 and there was nothing erupting in the area at 0536 other than Penta and Spasmodic.

Tilt's Baby
I have seen 2 eruptions (last was 0520 on 6/8) and twice I saw that Tilt's Baby was empty.

Fan and Mortar
The marker was last replaced on May 4. I last checked it June 8 when the Firehole River level was incredibly high.

Oblong
I have seen only 4 eruptions of Oblong in the month (including the 2 within a half hour recently reported) and I have heard only 4 other reports of it erupting.

Penta-Churn Mode
Penta has been usually erupting 1-4 times a day. 2 Pentas that I know about lasted more than 2.5 hours.

Jim Scheirer