[Geysers] Pink Cone Group--Correction of 6/3 report and subsequent information

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 19:35:20 PDT 2011

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

A correction on Pink Cone-

On 6/3 I posted "Pink Cone--I was on my way back to West this evening when I passed Pink Cone at 19:00 and realized the road bubbler was active.  So I waited, and waited, and waited.  Pink Cone erupted at 21:37.  The first four days the road was open, Pink Cone erupted between about 06:00 and 07:00.  Then I kept recording, "finished by" for the next three mornings (6/1, 6/2, and 6/3).  This evening's eruption gave an average interval of about 17 1/4 hours over the four intervals."

As I was looking through my data today, the 17 1/4 hour average stood out as an anomaly.  Originally I had thought possible it was because one of the mid-cycle splashing episodes had built to a full eruption, giving a very short interval for one of the four intervals.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.  I made a mistake in my math in adding up the total hours between observations.  The average should have been 21 3/4 hours for the f

Depending on weather tomorrow, today may have been my last day of geyser gazing for this trip, at least.  Yesterday's interval for Pink Cone was 22 1/2 hours; today's interval was 24 1/3 hours.  I only timed one duration--105 minutes--this year.  I only have one data point for starting time for the road bubbler (thumbhole; the triangular shaped three-corner hat and the cracks have been sintered in)--20 1/4 hours after the start of the preceding eruption.  I have one other data point where I know the road bubblers had not yet started 19 hours after the preceding eruption, but don't know when they did start.  One night the road bubblers were active when I arrived and continued for over 2 1/2 hours before Pink Cone erupted.  Today the road bubblers were active for just over 4 hours before Pink Cone started.

Labial's Satellite Vents--I saw one eruption yesterday.  Staying to get the duration cost Julie and KC and myself a Fountain start, but I figured that would be my only chance to collect any data on the satellite vents.  The East (splasher) Vent erupted for about 13 minutes.  The West (jetter) Vent started having infrequent small splashes about a minute after the East Vent started.  About 7 minutes later it had an angled jetting eruption what was sustained at about 3-4 feet for less than a minute.

Labial--I observed two closed intervals--each about 6 1/2 hours.  One evening though it had an interval that I know was more than 8 1/4 hours before I left.  When I drove past about an hour and a half later, it did not look post-eruptive.

Narcissus--I had closed intervals on 6/3 and 6/6 of about 2 1/2 hours from a long duration eruption to a short duration eruption.

Pink--One interval from an eruption that lasted about 2 1/4 minutes to the next eruption was about 2 1/2 hours.  One interval from about a 4 minute duration to the next eruption was 3 1/4 hours.  One interval from a 4 1/2 minute duration eruption to the next eruption was about 3 hours.  Today I'm reasonably certain the interval from an 8 3/4 minute duration to the next eruption was about 6 hours.

Bead--Today Bead was having short intervals, with intervals of ABOUT 27-28 minutes.

Lynn Stephens