[Geysers] More detail on Fan & Mortar observations, and some 1/8 geysers

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 13:05:22 PST 2011

I was reminded that I should fill in the blanks on what we've seen at Fan & Mortar.

The 1/2 cam observation of an afternoon eruption may be correct.  On 1/3 during the geyser predict ski, bison prevented the ranger from approaching F&M very closely.  From a distance it looked like the snow near the geysers was in place, but the marker couldn't be seen from that distance.  There was no predict schedule on 1/4; on 1/5 the snow looked similar to its appearance on 1/3, but the marker was gone and was replaced that morning.

This morning, 1/8, that marker is still in place.

Also this morning visitors saw Grand erupt near 0852, Riverside was in eruption as they skied downbasin but was done by 0830, and I saw an Oblong steam cloud at 0923 i.e., and Grotto i.e. at 0926.  Bijou was off at 0936  when I got there (rare for me to see, anyway), and was back on at 0939, for what that's worth.

It looks like the Geyser Hill downloads went to computers elsewhere, so we'll need to wait for Ralph's analysis to know more on the Hill.

Also, Rita Garcia saw Sponge erupting to two feet on the Giantess afternoon, 1/3, around 1530.

Carolyn Loren