[Geysers] GOSA Transactions 12 submission guidelines

David Monteith dmonteit at comcast.net
Fri Jan 7 10:06:01 PST 2011

Scott:

I will take a stab at answering your questions.

The reference to Transactions 11 was an error.  Sorry.

Concerning point 1 -- Using IEEE style instead of GSA style.  The GSA
style does not support references to Internet and other non-Standard
reference materials, IEEE does.  These references are common in the GOSA
transactions.  Thus, instead of reinventing the wheel, we decided it was
easiest to adopt the IEEE standard.

Concerning point 2 -- Map submission size.  You are correct maps need to
be legible.  Based on past experience, we've frequently needed to rework
maps extensively because while they looked good on a monitor they were
too small for print.  We are hoping with this request to eliminate
having to go back to the author to get maps remade.

Concerning point 3 -- Very good point.  We are trying to make the
process as painless as possible.  At first glance, the guidelines appear
to make the process more difficult but in the long run, they actually
eliminate extra work by the authors.  In the past, months after
submission, we've had to get authors to provide additional information
about references, new figures, new figure titles, new maps, new equation
formats, etc.  All of these are time consuming and annoying, especially
for authors that have already worked hard and thought they had finished
their contribution months earlier.  While the submission guidelines look
like a pain (which they are) in the long run, they are designed to save
the authors time and confusion.

If an author is concerned about the submission guidelines or doesn't
feel they can meet the guidelines, write to us, we'll work with you.
There are volunteers (myself included) that are willing to get your
document into the correct format if that is all that is preventing you
from submitting.  It is the information we want.  The guidelines are
only an attempt to make everyone's life easier.

Dave