[Geysers] Remote thermal detection (Was: Lone Star)

Ralph Taylor ralpht at fuse.net
Wed Feb 23 22:28:42 PST 2011

There used to be an infrared detector in the old Visitor Center.  The output
was analog and captured on paper charts.  Rick Hutchinson used this
instrument to get a more complete record of the Old Faithful intervals.  I
recall him saying that sometimes fog or steam clouds obscured the water
column and prevented the eruptions from registering.  Tim Thompson and I
tried to get the device working in 1997 or 1998 using an electronic recorder
(the paper chart recorder had died of old age by then) but we had no
success.

Ralph Taylor