[Geysers] Remote thermal detection (Was: Lone Star)

GOSA Store gosastore at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 23 22:24:41 PST 2011

I've seen kids with cheap versions pointing at Grand's runoff channel less
than 3 feet away during an eruption while getting readings not more than
~140F and some not much above the air temperature.  I believe it has to do
with an inherent inability to read through rapidly cooling condensation that
is closer to the sensor.  Better units (read big $$$) have better emissivity
ratings.  However IR sensors certainly can detect sudden changes in temp
within a target zone, which I guess is what triggers a game camera to snap a
photo.

Cam battery life is supposedly very good, like 150 hours or more.  They
could be augmented by a small cheap solar panel (Harbor Freight - $12).  A
lot of pics can fit on a 32GB SD card meaning downloads do not have to be
very often.  The biggest SD is now 128GB, which is a ridiculous number of
photos, but some cams can also record video.

Which brings up other advantages.  A download involves simply swapping out
commonly available, fairly cheap memory cards while leaving the cam in
place.  Many common devices can read SD cards so obsolescence probably isn't
an issue.  Expensive items and things needing maintenance like
thermocouples, special shuttles, cables, etc. are not needed.  Just don't
drop that tiny SD card.  They can be hard to find.  Don't ask me how I know.

Another advantage is each photo provides visual verification that indeed an
eruption occurred before it is logged.  Of course the disadvantage is also
that every photo must be reviewed and the bigger the memory card the more
pics it can store.

Can the clock keep accurate time in order to pinpoint eruption starts?  Will
the first burst always or nearly always trigger a photo?  Will every
subsequent burst trigger more?  Will it capture Yogi and Boo-Boo strolling
by?  Only one way to find out . . .

I doubt they could be deployed in most of the UGB, but less visited areas
with trees near the geyser being monitored should be considered.  The
current data loggers or similar replacements currently under consideration
may be the only solution in highly visible areas for now.  But many other
areas are ripe for such a project IMO.

Udo Freund
GOSA Store
www.gosa.org