[Geysers] Grotto shenanigans, and a researcher question

Bruce Jensen bpnjensen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 19:43:08 PST 2011

I witnessed an eruption of Lonestar this summer whose exact start time was questionable - here is why.
According to the previous two entries, the geyser played on almost perfect 3-hour intervals.  At about the 2:00 mark since the last eruption, we began to see minors.  At about 2:45 a strong apparent minor began that quickly and apparently turned into a major.  Did we see a minor and a major piggybacked?  Only a major that started early?  Are the majors and minors really independent play or do they influence each other?  It was getting late in the day and we did not stay to see the subsequent eruption to check the interval again.
I would bet this is not an isolated incident; and more like this, depending on the dynamics of the geyser, could create some changes from time to time.

Bruce Jensen,

California, USA

"[Yellowstone] is a fabulous country, the only fabulous country; it is the one place where miracles not only happen, but where they happen all the time." ~ Thomas Wolfe